Wednesday, October 05, 2005

 

happy birthday, daddo.

my mom and dad are on orcas island right now. she's whisking him off for his sixtieth birthday. which is today.

you should know i love my dad more than almost anything i could name. maybe lots of people love their dads this way, but there is something serious going on with my dadlove. i think that happens sometimes when one of your parents is . . . i don't know, incapacitated in a way that causes you to be heavily burdened. the other parent, especially if he is incredibly smart and funny and confident, starts to be The One Who Doesn't Need Anything From You, who just loves having you around.

my dad was sort of cold sometimes, when i was growing up. i think maybe he was uncomfortable with adolescent femality. the years between twelve and seventeen were sort of, like, hey, what happened to my dad? and who is this silent disapproving guy?

but since then, and especially since i've been an adult, we have just enjoyed each other so much. and i think it is terribly lucky to enjoy your family. i don't like not getting to see my dad more (he hates cities and has never come to new york), but he also allows me to be wherever i am without any recrimination, unlike some other parents i have. and that's pretty gigantic. and, again, a relief.

my dad kissed me on the forehead about 40% more than usual the last time i was home. i wish there were more of him in the world.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?