Tuesday, October 04, 2005

 

good yontif.

my friend jeremy, a professor of neuroscience at a liberal arts college, just forwarded me a short play about spending saturday with his grandparents on the weekend before rosh hashanah:

Jeremy: L'Shana Tova!

Grandma: [blank look]

Jeremy: I found a really great synagogue in Collegetown. I'm going to go to services this week.

Grandma: [blink. blink. blink.]

Jeremy: It's, um, very progressive. A lot of the faculty go. [pause] Are you going to go to high holy day services this year?

Grandma: [blank look of dispair and disgust]

Jeremy: [...?...]

Grandma: [spreads chicken livers on a slice of rye bread]

Jeremy: Are we even Jewish?

Gandma: [chews slowly] Look, kid: some people need religion. It makes them feel safe & comfortable. Me, I always thought it was just bullshit.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?