Thursday, June 02, 2005

 

slamming my toe on the baseboard: small event, large owie.

i didn't come here with a zillion contacts and lots of relevant past experience. i am, let me be clear, pretty much at the bottom of the ladder. so when it turns out that one thing i did--actually, something i loved, in a totally corny and sincere way--back home might put me in an advantageous position when the same play gets produced here, i get excited.

but i shouldn't, because the fact that a twenty-four year old with great skin and a longer resume has already been cast in the role i originated shouldn't be so ouchy, or even so surprising.

it wasn't my part to lose. it's just that so rarely do i have an inside connection to anything out here, and this is exactly the type of thing that is supposed to lead to some kind of break. and, also, i really did love that play. stories from my life are in it. it was one of the first things i thought i was good in. i feel a little like i finally met my special celebrity crush and he actually liked me back, and we spent the night together, and it was spectacular, and then he started dating my sister.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?