Monday, August 02, 2004

 

on the left side.

the wedding. it all happened. the bride and groom were enormously relaxed--my mother, who was helping with the flowers, was amazed that everytime she asked the pretty princess to approve the boquets, she said, "oh, whatever you do is fine." she was also amazed that the bride didn't feel it necessary to wear containing undergarments under her very slight silk charmeuse dress, but that's my mom.

my father was the life of the reception. not only did he kick the groom's butt on the wedding morning bike ride, but he danced more than anyone else, and mostly better. i love my dad with my whole freaking heart.

i'm glad my parents come to these things with me. my friends have done me a service by getting married on successive years, in low-key woodsy ceremonies as full of teamwork and fun as a child's dream of kindergarten. i think my parents think of weddings as things that happen outside churches, now, and are perhaps ready to be ready for something less traditional.

i did get a few questions about the monkey. a few nudges. i gave my stock answer about how we're in it for the long haul, and have talked about how we'll get old side by side, but in retrospect i feel a little itchy about perhaps having said more than i meant to, or alluded to the Big Marrying Act without naming it per se. it's really a conversation i should have with him first, although i'm in no hurry. i'd hate to think i insinuated to a large group of friends that i'd be marrying the monkey when--as much as i know we're on the same page--i haven't actually said it to him.

it's not something i want the idea of to be old hat, if and when it finally comes around.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?