Sunday, May 18, 2003

 
my apartment is not as clean as you'd expect the apartment of any unemployed person to be, maybe. whatever.

today i was in the kitchen, actually thinking about how it was not so clean, and i reached up to stretch and hit my hand on the glass globe light fixture in there. which then caused me to look at the light fixture, and subsequently recoil. there is a very chubby spider inside the slightly warped sphere of my kitchen ceiling lamp.

my first thought was what it said about me as a housekeeper that small animals are living in my lamps. second, though, was how does a spider get *in*there? i mean, those glass globe things screw on to a base, right? so . . . how?

and it's not like this spider is doomed to death, apparently. s/he has spun quite a few compressed, concentrated webs in there. and there are *bug bodies* in those webs. insects come and go from screw-in light fixtures, i guess. except the mummified ones.

so, i was thinking about how it happened, and i think it happened like this: spider was having a day, was ceiling walking in my kitchen, schlepped over my light fixture, and wooop! fell inside. now, she can't get out. but enough gnats and whatevers buzz inside to keep her fed. she's not running out of air. she's still doing all the stuff she'd do on the outside--spinning, weaving, eating. but it's in a concentrated, more finite environment. she lives in a shoebox condo in the upper east side. she probably telecommutes to her position as mid-level marketing associate at a sizeable gray company. she rents her *sex in the city* dvds from the corner store. her life just ended up being smaller and easier to visualize than anyone ever expected.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?